What game are you currently playing?

Xzarloxara

Innkeeper
Staff member
@BelgarathMTH I also cannot bring myself to play evil options in games like this, and I certainly have no complaints. I have only gotten through most of act 1 and I can say that there are already plenty of options for doing good in BG3. Plenty of people in the game are in trouble and can be helped out. While you cannot always save everyone you can still help out and save a lot of people who are in genuine need. You can even avoid some fights entirely if you are skilled at diplomacy or persuasion.

As far as the companions go, none of them are perfect saints, as has already been stated, but many of them indeed seem to be genuinely nice people that prefer doing good. I especially like Gale and Wyll so far. Karlach seems quite nice too. Even if you don't like any of the main characters or companions, you have the option to recruit hirelings which don't really have any personality at all.

BG3 really is a great game and I think your worries are somewhat unfounded. There is plenty of good that can be done in the game and the companions aren't as bad as many people say they are.

O_Bruce

Habitué
I am going to play BG3, sooner or later, but I will be honest with you guys. Ever since the early access, from what I heard about companions and romances, let's say I am more or less convinced these are people I wouldn't like hanging around IRL. Most likely, not even one of them. The fact all of them are potentially romantically interested with anything remotely resembling humanoid, without hints of individual preferences makes me think of them as less of a fully realized characters than they should be.

I am hoping to be wrong, but time will tell.

BelgarathMTH

Habitué
Thank you all again for all the insightful feedback and suggestions.

@Antimatter , I didn't mean to derail this thread topic with a BG3 discussion. I mean, it kind of fits "What I'm playing now" for a lot of people, but I'm not sure if it's really on-topic. Would it be good to maybe split out the last few posts starting with my first post where I asked about BG3, and make it its own thread in the BG3 sub-forum? Maybe call it "Help me want to play BG3", or something like that.

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
I am going to play BG3, sooner or later, but I will be honest with you guys. Ever since the early access, from what I heard about companions and romances, let's say I am more or less convinced these are people I wouldn't like hanging around IRL. Most likely, not even one of them. The fact all of them are potentially romantically interested with anything remotely resembling humanoid, without hints of individual preferences makes me think of them as less of a fully realized characters than they should be.

Let me honest with you in return @O_Bruce, judging companions and romances based on others opinions, without experiencing this content by yourself, will give you a false picture of their personalities and how romance will play out. I've seen many inaccurate opinions about BG3 in the past, that paint a bad and unwarranted picture of the game.

Now, about your concerns, let me describe how I feel about romance and why I think some of your concerns have merit (although I think our concerns are just subjective matter in the end).
  • There was a serious issue with incorrect romance triggers in early release builds, that resulted in various companions offered sex even in situations where you didn't grow enough relationship with them. This was very awkward. Fortunately, turning down their approaches made them give up. But more importantly, one of the patches fixed those bad triggers and this bug is now gone. Recently I started the second run with drow Dark Urge and I can confirm this bug is gone, I haven't had a single sexual offer from my companions so far, which is good, given that I haven't grown enough relationship with any of them yet.
  • I'm not unsympathetic with your concerns about companions willing to romance characters that look completely alien (like dragonborn or githyanki in most cases), especially if there is no dialogue difference between them romancing someone from their own race and one of those "beastly" races. I'm personally leaning towards giving a player some sort of race/gender romance restrictions myself, but an equally acceptable solution would be just giving more romance dialogue options for more unusual race/race romance combinations, something to make eg. Shadowheart romancing dragonborn more believable. Another option could be to tag a romance dialogue options, so a player who plays a "beastly" race could avoid the awkward situations of having a sex encounter with a more humanlike companion (if of course this is bothersome for them). I realise that restricting romances to specific race and gender would lock a lot of players of experiencing romance option, so I wouldn't really ask for such feature, but some actions to make such romances more believable would be welcomed.
  • I've experienced only one romance so far, with Shadowhert, and I have a completely different issue with it. The problem for me is that the romance content was spread too thin across the game. It could basically be squeezed in 15-20 minutes. The result was that there were a huge portion of time when there was no romance progress at all. The flow of the relationship was not very good. I'd like to also refute the quite common claim that nudity and sex is the main selling point of BG3. There is no more nudity and sex than eg. in Dragon Age: Origins (the game released in 2009) and in fact, if you skip all the sexcapades the game has to offer and focus only romancing with one companion, you may be disappointed. I've had just one sex scene with Shadowheart, and it wasn't even close to hardcore. I think those claims come from the simple fact that the game shows you a static view of genitals, which is not common in computer gaming. And I mean static view, because you won't see any of such details during sexual encounter, those are directed in a surprisingly sensible (for some even too sensible) way. You won't find this falsely claimed horniness in BG3.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Would it be good to maybe split out the last few posts starting with my first post where I asked about BG3, and make it its own thread in the BG3 sub-forum? Maybe call it "Help me want to play BG3", or something like that.
It's ok for the discussion to stay here, don't worry. ;)

I have to agree with @Cahir here. Almost all BG3 companions could be my best friends in RL, they're well-written and feel real. Probably still not on the level of Cyberpunk 2077 characters such as Judy or Panam, but very close.

We probably need to create "Let's debunk BG3 myths" or "BG3 Mythbusters" threads though. ;) Too much info, too much buzz around this game led to all sorts of opinions circulating everywhere. And NO single YT video, no single review, no single post can actually explain the game to you as if you were really playing the game yourself. It is fair for my and Cahir's posts as well, I realize that. Lots of media outlets had thousands of clicks for BG3 bear sex scene posts and whatnot, about companions being horny, about sex being everywhere etc etc.

It's not like that, like, totally, though, in the game. There was a bug with the relationship progressing to sex too quickly in the release version (as you can probably tell at this point, the game had many bugs, but the issue is that the game is so vast and complex that even these bugs, sometimes major ones, didn't hamper the overall impression of the game). Now this bug is fixed.

It's true you can see your genitals if you undress your character doll. You can do that for all party members. But the sad (for me personally) truth is that there is not enough sex in the game. A bit like in CP2077, it's sometimes all just smoke and mirrors. I wouldn't have minded more adult stuff because the game already has murders, blood, and everything. I too was romancing Shadowheart, and the first sex scene (and the only! and yes, not hardcore at all) happened after I spent 250 hours in the game (yes, I play slowly and try to see everything, that's why it took so long)... There are a lot of dialogues though, you get to know your companions. Shadowheart is also one of those people who don't rush this part, and need to get to know you really close. It felt very genuine and appropriate for her personality. Some others get it quicker, but it is always explained by their personality.

It's impossible to express what you as the player should be supposed to understand from 50, 100, 150 hours of playing the game, watching the companions, talking to them, and hearing them banter with other party members, in any stream or review. Game designers and writers created these stories, and worked on them for the player to gradually experience them, they didn't create them to be fully understandable in just 2 hours.

In the original BG2 game, dwarves as MC couldn't get any romance. If you created an elf, you couldn't romance Viconia. This always felt very restricting to me, very limiting, and very discriminating. In Skyrim, you couldn't romance some races depending on your race, sometimes it led to literally 1 option or no options at all. This felt bad, especially when I thought that these games were supposed to immerse me into their fantasy worlds.

That's why I will always appreciate game designers not walling the romance behind a certain race.

So I definitely hope as well that this initial impression you had, @O_Bruce, won't turn into reality.

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
Since I'm replaying BG3, this will be more on-topic, and I really wanted to share my experience of playing the Dark Urge.

So, here's the plan I had for this run. I wanted to try the Dark Urge this time, but my plan for this character was that he starts as a noble paladin (a seldarine drow), who will struggle with his dark urges and fight them passionately, until he can't anymore and turn into an oathbreaker paladin). The main problem that laid down before me was that I knew I would have a lot of trouble of forcing myself to act violently or even in a brutal way. But choosing all the good-aligned options would contradict the idea of playing Dark Urge. While I struggled to find a good way of roleplaying Durge without forcing myself to do horrible things, one small event made me realised Larian designers are geniuses and gave me the exact idea how I'll do it. (Very minor spoiler ahead) While I was exploring Druid's Grove I stumbled upon a familiar squirrel with whom I remember was talking in my first run. While I tried to talk with it, the dark urge activated and my Durge kicked the poor thing to death. And then an epiphany came. That's it! I can use those urges as a turning points, a some sort of milestones to gradually plunge into a dark side.

I stopped playing and gave this notion a more time to process. Normally, I would not be happy that a game forces some unwanted behaviour that I cannot control in any way, but to my utmost surprise, this is the perfect way to roleplay the Dark Urge. Most people are (fortunately) goodhearted, so it's not uncommon they will have a lot of trouble acting violently towards innocent characters, so Larian designers needed to find a way to give the player a nudge to act accordingly to their origin. I think this is the perfect way, especially that it's as shocking to the character as it is to a player. My character literally roleplayed the emotion with me. This really was a surreal experience to me, we were one at this moment, we were both shocked and terrified what we have done. This is why I consider this second run already more exciting than the first one, not because I can play evil and "evil is sexy", but because I can relieve some unwanted emotions with my character. Not only me, but also companions were shocked about the event. Even Astarion was uneasy, seeing what happened, and he saw a lot of nasty things in his undead life.

During one of his interviews, Swen Vincke said something, that I thought was surprising at that time. He recommended to not play as the Durge First in your first playthrough, because it tastes better when you already know the story and can compare the outcomes. And you know what? He was 100% spot on, it does taste better. It's like totally new experience.

Now, here's a very important disclaimer. Please don't treat this post as my attempt to convince you to play as an evil character, let alone the Dark Urge who revels in violence and bloodshed. This is rather an attempt to appreciate fantastic work of Larian designers. If you ever wanted to try roleplaying an evil character, but the games you played did not offer a satisfactory experience, whether because the options didn't feel evil enough or the rewards were inferior to those you got from choosing a good route, BG3 is probably as close to perfect dark side experience as you can possibly get right now. And I really just scratched the surface, and didn't ever start using tadpoles.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I finished the Astarion questline in BG3 and I feel rewarded and justified in all my talks over the last few years that original Early Access companions in BG3 are not evil. Astarion's ending in my game is good and kind, it's the most positive thing a person could do in his situation.

This must be one of the most touching stories for companions ever written, and that is me saying having Mass Effect and Dragon Age companions in mind.

And the quest has one final conclusion cutscene, it felt like a short movie that could be nominated for an indie cinema award. I wanted to literally get through the screen and hug Astarion.

Of course, now that I know how it ends, I will never be able to look at the character differently. A fresh new player might react to Astarion's introduction differently, but now when I know, I can double down on my previous opinion here. His story is about redemption, soul, and what truly defines who a person is.

P.S. It also helps that the actor (Neil Newbon) is an awesome person who streams BG3. He even gets all the other actors to play with him. And he actually plays the game really well. He nerds out, just like any of us. You can tell he really loves the game.

Check out this interview with Neil Newbon about Astarion - goes deeply personal about him there:

Last edited:

m7600

Habitué
I'm currently playing Stranded Deep. Pretty fun game, I like it.

Screenshot from 2023-10-24 11-02-43.png

Screenshot from 2023-10-24 10-55-53.png

Screenshot from 2023-10-24 11-29-18.png

Cahir

Innkeeper
Staff member
I finished the Astarion questline in BG3 and I feel rewarded and justified in all my talks over the last few years that original Early Access companions in BG3 are not evil. Astarion's ending in my game is good and kind, it's the most positive thing a person could do in his situation.

This must be one of the most touching stories for companions ever written, and that is me saying having Mass Effect and Dragon Age companions in mind.

And the quest has one final conclusion cutscene, it felt like a short movie that could be nominated for an indie cinema award. I wanted to literally get through the screen and hug Astarion.

Of course, now that I know how it ends, I will never be able to look at the character differently. A fresh new player might react to Astarion's introduction differently, but now when I know, I can double down on my previous opinion here. His story is about redemption, soul, and what truly defines who a person is.

P.S. It also helps that the actor (Neil Newbon) is an awesome person who streams BG3. He even gets all the other actors to play with him. And he actually plays the game really well. He nerds out, just like any of us. You can tell he really loves the game.

Check out this interview with Neil Newbon about Astarion - goes deeply personal about him there:

Fully agree, Astarion and Lae'zel are two characters that evolved the most in my eyes throughout the game, starting from being irritating and not likeable, to becoming a flesh and blood character. I'm still not happy how they cut Astarion's content, which was apparent with Cazador's mansion, but his quest himself was really well done.

But when it comes to acting, all characters were fantastic, and this is truly a next level of quality.

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm currently playing Stranded Deep. Pretty fun game, I like it.

That's really great! Crafting/Survival games just have that feeling that you can play at your own pace and enjoy the views.

I played Stranded Deep a few years ago, liked it for all the island-hopping. One thing that felt weird is that it was difficult to find stones (boulders) for crafting, they were limited.

Chronicler

Habitué
Bought Persona 5 for Switch. I'm an hour and a half into it and having a super good time. Haven't jived with a game like this since maybe highschool.

The story isn't afraid to get theatrical in flamboyant ways. I feel like a lot of modern games are all muted colours and stoic leads and stuff, where these Phantom Thieves seem to be intentionally incorporating showmanship into their heists and a villain just showed up wearing nothing but a King's Cape and Crown.

The Battle system is classic Turn Based fair, with mechanics based around figuring out the enemy's weakness and then capitalizing on it. But it looks like it probably gets pretty involved as it goes on. Right off the bat I'm noticing they're giving me weird elements like "curse" and some attacks cast from my hitpoints.

It's... surprisingly adult? Not necessarily in the sense that it seems emotionally mature or anything but there's been a lot of swears and a sexual assault scene and the game's barely started.

The map is kind of hard to navigate. It feels very much like a real modern city. I had to get off the subway just to transfer to another subway. My immediate reaction is that the verisimilitude is actually a little off putting but maybe as I spend more time in the setting it'll grow on me.

m7600

Habitué
I'm currently playing Magic: The Gathering Arena. It's free to play, though it has some in-game purchases, but I'm not going to buy anything. I'm using my Steam account for this (which I almost never use), since I couldn't get the game to work on WINE or Lutris.

The game looks quite decent from what I've seen so far.

Screenshot from 2023-11-21 10-35-42.png

Skatan

Innkeeper
Staff member
Trying out D4 that is free to play on Steam until November 28. Just played an hour so far so it's great to have some more days to try it out since I've been on the fence about buying it for quite some time now. I hope to get some odd hours today and maybe tomorrow and then hopefully a longer session on saturday to get a real feel for the game.

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Hey there, hi there, everyone! Good to see you again. I hope everyone is well.

I ended up spending more time with Street Fighter 6 than expected. About a month ago I reached the Diamond level with my preferred character, Lily.
ca0u9ysenawb1.jpeg

I also founded a little Subreddit for the character, r/SF6LilyNation.

My time in Capcom-land has been a hoot, but I've been feeling the call of my home genre, RPGs. I'm currently using the platform I purchased for Street Fighter to replay the Mass Effect Trilogy.

It'll come as no surprise that I'm getting curious about Mass Effect no reload play. Has anyone here no reloaded the Mass Effect Trilogy? Was it challenging? How much experience did you have before you succeeded? Thanks!

Last edited:

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Salute to reaching the Diamond level. That's what I said back then - the ranked system always makes sure you get to the actual level you have. Turned out, your level is Diamond, not Gold (or whatever it was back then). You kept pushing and getting better! Kudos!

I don't remember seeing a lot of no-reload content for Mass Effect, even on old BioWare boards tbh. Would be interesting to see ofc!

Alesia_BH

Habitué
Good to hear from you, Antimatter :)

No reloading the Mass Effect trilogy may be tricky. I'm not sure. I'm still a noob, so I can't say. The core mechanics seem tractable, but there are a lot of quirky, timer related encounters, not to mention the chase scenes.

I've done 1. That's straightforward. IIRC I did 3 back in the day. I feel like 2 is doable for me, especially if I skip the hammerhead missions. I don't really have a read on how many trials I'd need to get the trilogy right, though. I may be over estimating the difficulty. I may be underestimating it. No clue. I'd love to hear from someone who's done it.

Last edited:

WarChiefZeke

Habitué
Until You Fall for sword combat in VR, and Onward for FPS in VR.

When I can finally afford a new PC, I want to do Fallout 4 in VR again. It was one of the best gaming experiences i've done, and I can't even play vanilla F4 for it being too tedious. But VR fundamentally changes the gameplay of FPS games into something I like a lot more.

And the insects are genuinely creepy when you have a good graphics set up. My lord, those bloatflies.

mlnevese

Innkeeper
Staff member
Until You Fall for sword combat in VR, and Onward for FPS in VR.

When I can finally afford a new PC, I want to do Fallout 4 in VR again. It was one of the best gaming experiences i've done, and I can't even play vanilla F4 for it being too tedious. But VR fundamentally changes the gameplay of FPS games into something I like a lot more.

And the insects are genuinely creepy when you have a good graphics set up. My lord, those bloatflies.
If I found a cockroach about the size of my arm in my house, I'd go for a shotgun... or a flamethrower if I just happened to have one...

Top Bottom